Use Video in Your Digital Marketing Campaign!
Is it worth the time, effort and expense to include video in your business marketing arsenal? While this is not comprehensive or even in order of importance, here are nine important reasons why I say “Yes!” to video.
• People like to watch videos.
• If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is a “moving picture” worth?
Dr. James McQuivey of Forrester Research says a minute of video is worth 1.8 million words. That’s a HUGE amount of information being shared in a short time. An effective video can trump the written word here by conveying your message on many levels. Nonverbal communication and voice tone tell someone so much more than words written on a page. With video, you can establish what feels like a personal connection with your viewers and that is powerful.
• YouTube is owned by Google and is either the second or third largest search engine on the internet, depending on who you ask. Ownership matters here because Google likes to keep it in the family and rank their properties over properties outside of the Google family. This can be especially important for local businesses who want to show up in the search engine results.
• YouTube gives you a great thumbnail picture in the Google search engine results pages (SERPs). This picture catches the attention of your prospective clients as they are glancing through the SERPs and helps your listing stand out from all the other listings that only have words. Many folks don’t even view the video, they simply move on to contact your business.
• Videos can be addictive. People watching a video will often go watch another video. If you’ve ever binge-watched a series on Netflix, you know exactly what I’m talking about. Our agency has a method for creating a video “hub site” populated by curated videos. This means you don’t have to be the one creating every video, you can collect videos related to your topic of choice and display them on one site. It isn’t the answer for every niche but it does allow you to attract interested viewers who like watching videos on your topic and then directing them to the site you really want them to visit.
• There is an ease of communicating to people through video rather than only by the written word. It can be easier for people to understand what you’re talking about when they’ve seen your video. You can convey your thoughts more completely through your tone of voice and nonverbal communication. Even adding music in an intro or playing in the background can set the tone and prime your viewer to have the experience you want them to have.
• Folks like to multitask so they can watch/listen to your video while they are checking out their other online stuff, doing dishes, or playing with their dog. Granted, you would prefer to have their undivided attention but it is what it is.
• The chances of getting a page one listing on Google increase 53 times with video (source: Forrester Research). That should get your attention if you want to get in front of the people who are looking for your products and services online.
• New ways to share video continue to appear in social media platforms. Twitter’s Periscope is one of the latest ways to share live video.
Create a Video Marketing Plan
If you aren’t using video in your marketing, please do start with a plan. The old adage “aim for nothing and you’ll hit it every time” applies here. You may be tempted to film a few off-the-cuff videos, upload them to YouTube and hope for the best but don’t do it. Think about what you would like to accomplish with your marketing, who your target market is, where your prospects would be looking for you, what they expect, and what your budget allows. Your plan will guide your decisions on methods, delivery platforms, and content.
Use A Search Engine Optimization Campaign to Rank Your Video in the SERPs
After you create a video, you want it found by your target audience. A Search Engine Optimization (SEO) campaign implements a number of tactics and tools to rank your video in the SERPs for your target keywords. SEO campaigns require specialized knowledge and tools to implement. It is best to make use of a SEO firm so you can focus on your business.
There are many ways to implement video marketing so get to it!